July 25, 2016
In June, Packt conducted a Skill Up survey to get a greater understanding of the tech world. More than 11,500 worldwide developers and IT professionals weighed in to share insights on global salaries, new and emerging technology defining software today, and the most in-demand skills and tools in tech today.
With responses from software developers and IT professionals across Europe, North America and Asia, Packt’s Skill Up survey captures a snapshot of the modern tech community.
What do developers say the next ‘big thing’ is?
• Virtual & Augmented Reality; Machine Learning & Big Data Analytics; and The Internet of Things.
Leading IT salaries:
• Security is one of the highest paying industries in 2016, particularly for freelancers.
• Bash, Perl & Scala come out as the programming skills commanding the highest salaries.
• Python remains the “tool for all trades in 2016”.
• Clojure and Ruby are drawing developers under 30. Perl and SQL, on the other hand, have a more mature audience.
• Google Go has become a very established presence in 2016.
• Newcomer Vue.JS looks like it might be making a big splash in the next few months.
The full Skill Up 2016 survey report is free and available for download.
The report reveals trends, figures and up-and-coming skill sets those working in tech need for the future and therefore Packt has launched Mapt – a new online learning platform for developers.